Thursday, April 26, 2007

2D, or not 2D? That is the Question...

Like many other people, I am really enjoying Super Paper Mario.

It's a fun game, it doesn't take itself too seriously and it's a really great type of game for the Wii technologically speaking. It's not dazzling me with normal maps on his overalls. It's not the subsurface scattering shader applied to his huge head -- hell he's only 2D and not even dynamically lit....Albedo is all this little plumber needs.

Its a game that's a game...plain and simple - Fun.

I've found myself in situations lately where I wondered what my surroundings might be like if I could flip my world. Apparently, I'm not alone in experiencing this.

Could I ask Xzibit to "Flip my Ride"? I don't see why not!

Another neat thing about the game that wife noticed, and I should mention that she is an avid gamer that has also worked in the games industry, is that the maximum number of character cards you can collect in the game is 256 -- 8bits!

Now I'd love to think that this was done intentionally as an homage to the mythical 8-bit days, but it's more realistically just because of the variable that they used for tracking card unlocks...

...but in my little world, it's an homage :-)

No comments: